If you have any disabilities or any dietary or other special requirements including a particular requirement for a bathtub please inform us at the time of booking. If there is anything that you wish to clarify we suggest that you telephone us.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the location section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using: www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is YO31 7EH to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is York, which is 0.5 miles away (a 10-15 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance: see contact information for details.
- The nearest bus stop is 70m from the B&B in Gillygate - ask the driver. There is no shelter or seating. No. 5 bus runs to/from the railway station about every 15mins Monday - Saturday (less frequently on Sundays).
- The pavement on the street leading to the B&&B is paved.
- There is a local company which supplies equipment that can be hired, see contact information for details.
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request.
Car Parking and Arrival
Our bed & breakfast consists of two adjoining houses, the front entrance in Portland Street being in one and the rear entrance in the other. The houses are not suitable for wheelchair access. The route between the two passes through the breakfast room and you may access the building through either. The rear entrance leads to the car park which opens onto the lane at the rear of the guest house. The lane is approached from the adjacent street Claremont Terrace. Since the area was constructed in the 19th century, the lane was designed for horses and carts and is quite narrow; it also contains a very tight corner before it reaches the car park. However with a little care all vehicles under 18ft long are able to negotiate it.
- The front path is 3 metres long and is flagged. There is a small lip at the front gate and three steps in the front porch leading up to the front door and the ground floor reception lobby. This is well lit at night.
- The front door has 800mm in of clearance.
- We have eight car parking spaces in the car park
- The rear path from the car park is 9metres long and concreted. There are 2 steps at the rear gate and a further 2 steps just before the rear door with a further 2 steps inside the back door leading up to the level of the ground floor and the reception area. The back door has 650mm of clearance. The rear access from the car park is well lit until 11.00pm and the rear door well lit all night.
- Ask us if you need assistance with luggage.
- Guests are welcomed at the reception desk in the hallway on the ground floor leading to the front door where they are asked to register.
- There is a settle seating two near the front door but as the part of the hallway near the reception desk is quite narrow we cannot offer seating at this point.
- The floor in the front hallway and reception area is tiled and level throughout.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting and a desk spotlight.
- Access to reception from the back door is through the rear hallway and the former breakfast room both of which are level and carpeted and well lit.
- Guests are shown the guest lounge and their bedroom.
- We have a superior double room and a standard twin bedroom on the ground floor adjacent to our breakfast room. Both have en-suite showers.
- There are two further bedrooms on the lower ground floor, four on the 2nd floor with the remainder being on the 1st floor. We do not have a lift and all bedrooms other than those on the ground floor are accessed via stairs. Bedroom doors are generally 750mm wide.
- None of our bedrooms is suitable for wheelchair access.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets
- All bathrooms are en-suite with most having showers with a minimum step up of 200mm. Five rooms have bath-tubs with showers over with a minimum height of 530mm to the edge of the bath
Public Areas - Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, halls, stairs, landings, are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
- There is short pile carpet on the stairs, rear hall and landings.
- There is a flight of fifteen steps between the ground floor and the lower ground floor: the steps are 175mm high and 260mm deep
- There are flights of eighteen steps between both the ground floor and the first floor and the first floor and the second floor. Each flight is punctuated by a landing. The steps are 175mm high and 230mm deep
- Each flight has a handrail on one side
Public Areas - Lounge
- The guests' lounge is situated on the lower ground floor down a flight of fifteen steps from the ground floor.
- The room has a mixture of seating with two sofas and a soft chair as well as a desk chair without arms for using the guests' computer together with a low coffee table.
- It is a dark room lit by overhead lighting as well as table lamps and standard lamps around the room.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- There is a small unisex toilet, with a hand basin, located on the first floor accessed from the front hall near reception.
- The toilet is well lit with an overhead light.
Former Dining Room
- The former dining room is situated on the ground floor with step free/level entry from the front door and stairs.
- This forms part of the route between the front entrance and back door which gives access to the car park.
- Lighting is natural daylight with overhead and wall lighting used.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- There is a paved walled garden at the rear which can be accessed from the ground floor via four steps. It contains tables and benches and affords seating for twelve.
- The garden area is small with an uneven surface paved with flagstones and raised flowerbeds.
- We can offer a list of nearby attractions and suggested places to eat with details of their Access Statements where available.
- Each door frame contrasts in colour with the surrounding wall.
- The nearest Shopmobility is 1 mile away in the Coppergate Centre. See Contact Details below.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS is half a mile away. Information regarding emergency medical treatment is available at reception
- Free WiFi Internet access is available
- Mobile phone reception is generally good
- We have a set of evacuation procedures. We are able to use the front and back doors in the need of evacuation, the alarm bell rings continuously if evacuation is needed. If you require more assistance for evacuating e.g. because of a hearing impairment please notify us on arrival
- During reception hours we can put items of medication or special food in our main fridge on request (not available 24hours).
- Owing to the nature of the Guest House, any alteration to facilitate wheelchair access would not be possible without a major reconstruction of the whole building
- Any such alterations would be totally uneconomic and result in a change of the character of the building.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 01904 626548 or email email@example.com.
Address: 24-25 Portland Street York YO31 7EH Telephone: 01904 627617
Web Site: www.thehazelwoodyork.com
Opens 7.30 or 8.00am depending on season;
Closes Sunday to Friday 8.30pm and 7.30pm Saturday
Local equipment hire companies: Shopmobility as mentioned above: 01904 679222
Local taxi numbers: 01904 659659